Zoos and aquariums are among the most visited attractions nationwide, and they have an enormous social, cultural, educational, and economical impact. The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium ranks among the finest zoological facilities in the nation, boasting a strong commitment to wildlife conservation, visitor service, education, and research.
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium...
• Is one of only 204 facilities accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums. The U.S. Department of Agriculture licenses more than 2,000 exhibitors of animals, but only facilities that meet the highest industry standards are accredited by the AZA
• Houses thousands of animals representing hundreds of diverse species including 38 threatened or endangered species
• Is one of only six major zoo and aquarium combinations in the country
• Houses Pennsylvania's only public aquarium
• Is home to Kids Kingdom, which has been ranked among the best children's zoos in the country
• Is ranked among the top four zoos and aquariums in the Northeast by readers of FamilyFun magazine
• Ranked as one of the top ten zoos in the country by Parent Magazine
• Is an international leader in the field of African elephant breeding, with the successful births of four calves, two in 2008. The oldest calf, Victoria, is the first captive-born African elephant in the U.S. to survive her first birthday since 1985; her mother, Moja, was the first captive-born African elephant to give birth in captivity
• Is home to one of the largest family groups of Western lowland gorillas in North America with a ten-member troop that lives together 24 hours a day
• Boasts Western Pennsylvania's largest and most diverse temperate botanical collection
• Is Western Pennsylvania's most visited cultural attraction, reaching a million visitors in 2007 and 2008
• Served over 390,000 children and adults through is educational programs in 2007