The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is a progressive, dynamic and exciting work environment, undergoing tremendous growth in all programs. The zoo is a 77 acre facility, home to more than 4000 animals representing more than 430 species in a diverse collection, including an elephant breeding program, great apes, and a major aquarium. The zoo also has a 700 acre off-site International Conservation Center facility. The Animal Health department operates out of the 22,000 sq. foot Animal Care Center which opened in the summer of 2012. The Associate Veterinarian would join the hospital team which consists of the Director of Animal Health, two certified veterinary technicians, hospital assistant and Animal Health administrative assistant.
· Shared daily responsibilities include executing the department’s preventive medicine program, medical, surgical and emergency case management, feral wildlife program, imputing medical and pharmacy records, and conducting post-mortem exams of the collection animals at both the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium and the International Conservation Center.
· Responsible for communicating case and department updates with the Director of Animal Health, serving as a part of the zoo’s management team, collaborating in research projects, and training of both veterinary student and veterinary technician students.
· Responsible for coordinating outgoing animal shipments and evaluation of the zoo’s enrichment program.
· DVM/VMD from an AVMA-accredited veterinary college with 3 years of clinical experience in a zoo or aquarium. Preference given to those candidates with residency training in zoo or aquatic animal medicine.
· USDA accreditation, including accreditation to perform TB tests
· Pennsylvania State veterinary license must be acquired within 2 months of start date.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills are necessary along with a willingness to be an integral part of the management team.