- Responsible for effective purchasing, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to the values of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
- Assists end users with technical issues that may arise on a daily basis. These activities include new user creation/modification, GPO creation/modification, hardware troubleshooting, machine performance issues, questions regarding software usage, installation/replacement of existing hardware.
- Accountable for the following systems: Windows Server and Desktop systems that support critical business services such as MS Exchange, MS SQL, MS SharePoint Services, Anti-viral Software, Symantec Backup Exec, and Watchguard firewall configuration.
- Responsibilities on these systems include acquisition, operation, support, maintenance, research and development to ensure continual enhancement.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier II/other support per request from various end users.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted end users.
- Provide Audio/Visual support as needed to end users.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports the business operation of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain server room environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving computer issues.
- Follow proper purchase order polices set by the IT department manager.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, Systems Administration of Microsoft Server 2003/2008 and 2 years’ experience Network Services/Support.
Working Conditions:Position is primarily sedentary in an office setting. The ability to hear, see, speak and walk within the Zoo is required. Occasional lifting of computer equipment, printers, etc. is required. The ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. is required. This position does require the ability to work on weekends, evenings and holidays, sometimes with little advanced notice. Travel outside the Zoo with the IT department is occasionally required. There is exposure to outside climate when working within different departments/areas in the Zoo.